Monday, July 23, 2012

#4- Water

Oh man! There are so many reasons to love water. You can swim in it, drink it, spray it, slide in it, surf on it, cook with it, wade in it, feed your garden with it, soak in it, and of course, dive in it!  There's so many things I LOVE to do with water, I don't even know where to begin! I could sit here and write for hours about how much I love water, but let's just narrow it down to my favourite water activities.

I've been in the water since I was about 8 months old.  I have a picture of me sitting in the water at the cottage, where it's now a beach.  It's amazing to see how much water we've lost in the in the last 30 years or so.  It's a reminder that we need to take care of our planet and about how we need to think about our future and not just the present.  When I see how low the water level is now, I wonder how much will be left when E is 30 and swimming with his kids!  Will they be able to swim at the cottage like I've been able to?

I remember as a little girl watching my dad suit up and go SCUBA diving at the cottage.  I would stand on the dock and watch his bubbles surface as he swam around the bottom of the lake.  When I was 12, I tried it for the first time and was instantly hooked!  The feeling of being free and the peace and quiet was just amazing!  I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to go diving around the world. Honduras, Florida, Panama, the Caribbean, Venezuela and of course, Georgian Bay.  My favourite place so far is probably Roatan, Honduras.  I spent 3 weeks diving there and I'm now a certified PADI Rescue Diver, although I probably should do a refresher. I would highly recommend for everyone to try it at least once.  The serenity of the reef is remarkable!

What's your favourite water activity?


(Top left picture was taken in Venezula in 2008. The middle picture was taken at the cottage in 2012, and the bottom picture was taken onboard the Independence of the Seas while travelling across the Atlantic in 2009.)





No comments:

Post a Comment