Monday, July 30, 2012

#7 The Olympics

Well, it's time for the Summer Olympics again! I love that every 2 years we get to see the world's best athletes compete in one location!  As we know, this year the Olympics are in London, England, and although Canadian's are known to be better at the Winter games, we still have some amazing competitors for the Summer games.

Why do I love the Olympics?  Because no matter what kind of terrible conflicts, events, or problems a country is having, everyone comes together to compete and celebrate TOGETHER.  As I type away about how much I love the Olympics, I'm watching the Men's 10m synchro platform diving.  The amount of practice, training, talent, commitment, teamwork, trust and discipline needed to even qualify for this event is amazing! (BTW- Congrats to China (gold), Mexico (silver) and the US (bronze).) If only we could put aside our differences for good, instead of just every 2 years!

Maybe it's because the Olympics is such a positive event that I like it so much.  Sure, there's a handful of negative news, but mostly it's about how amazing a team or individual has been and their success.  It's 17 days of happy things on TV! Rick Hansen has segment called "The Difference Makers". It takes an in-depth look at different athletes, challenges that they've had, and the special people that have made differences in their lives to help them get to the Olympics. 

I probably cry (tears of joy and happiness) more during the Olympics than I do watching Grey's Anatomy, but it's just because the amount of drive and ambition these athletes have is remarkable.  Not to mention the patriotism you see the athletes and crowd have. 

My favourite summer events are volleyball, diving, gymnastics, athletics, trampoline and of course swimming, but really, my tv doesn't change channels during the day, so I'll watch whatever is on.  Being on maternity leave for these games is awesome! I get to watch more events than I normally would.

What is your favourite event? C'mon guys, don't be afraid to comment. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment