Thursday, July 26, 2012

#6 A Great Deal

You know what I really love? Finding a great sale, deal or awesome coupon!  Living in Canada it's not as easy to get the most out of coupons (nothing like Extreme Couponing on TLC), but you can still save some money and have fun.  Being on maternity leave, I've found new ways to save and/or score.  It's a bit of a routine now, and chances are that when I go back to work, I won't give it up.
  
There are a couple different ways I find a good deal:

  1. Flyers
  2. Coupons
  3. Word-of-mouth and/or in-store promos
  4. Package Promos
  5. Price Matching & Combinations

It all starts on a Thursday. Thursday mornings I get my flyer bag.  I get a couple in there and grab my Sharpie marker and circle all the things I'm gonna get/need.  Any flyers that I don't get, I check out online.  I don't get FreshCo and sometimes my No Frills flyers are late.  All their flyers are online on Thursday (the day before the sales starts usually).  Then I put them all together and keep them ready for when I go shopping.

Next I check out my coupon sites.  I check out www.save.ca, www.brandsaver.ca, www.websaver.ca and also www.flyerland.ca.  I order my coupons and wait for them in the mail.  Sometimes I get to print them and use them, but usually at FreshCo, since they now accept printable coupons!  Once I get them I keep them all together and again, keep them ready for when I go shopping. (NOTE: Yesterday BrandSaver (which is P&G) launched their newest coupons).  www.canadianfreestuff.com is a great overall resource too!

Now I listen and keep my eyes open for non-grocery sales! I live close to Dixie Outlet Mall, so there's always a great deal going on there.  Just yesterday my sister-in-law gave me a head's up that there was a big sale at Zellers.  I was out and about with E anyway, so we checked it out.  My Zellers, as with most, are closing mid-September, so EVERYTHING was on sale! I picked up 3 tops, 1 tank top, 1 skirt, a sippy cup, some baby cereal, a new baby gift, 2 greeting cards and some candy for $60! Man I love a sale! It's not my greatest score ever, but it reminded me how much I LOVE a great deal!

Don't forget to check the packaging for additional coupons.  I picked up some Babybel cheese the other day, and right on the bag was a coupon to save $1.00 at the check out.  I've bought Allen's apple juice in the past and the backside of the label was full of coupons for Oasis juice products. Normally I wouldn't have bought Allen's but with over $5.00 in coupons, apple juice is apple juice when it buys me good orange juice!

I love going shopping with my flyers and coupons to No Frills or Walmart, since they price match!  As long as the item you're buying is exactly the same (size, type and brand) they'll match the price, right at the check out. I find that Walmart does it a little easier, but as long as you're patient, it'll work out. Fruit and stuff doesn't normally have a brand, so as long as it's the same kind and quantity you should be ok. I remember one day I went shopping at Walmart, and just with the price matching alone, I saved $35!! 

The best is when I get something on sale AND use a coupon! So when diapers go on sale at Walmart (sale for me is anything less than $0.22 a diaper) and I toss a coupon from Brandsaver on top and it's a SUPER SALE!

Patience, organization and patience is all you need to save a some $$!  What are your tips to save money? I'd really love to know!! :)

UPDATE: How could I forget WagJag, GroupOn and LivingSocial!!? WOW! I've scored some amazing deals using these sites.  Spa days for $60. Hang gliding for $50. Lick's Burgers for $5.  In-home chefs for $60. 4kg of chicken breast for $29. Just amazing!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment